iBankCoin
18 years in Wall Street, left after finding out it was all horseshit. Founder/ Master and Commander: iBankCoin, finance news and commentary from the future.
Joined Nov 10, 2007
16,213 Blog Posts

Barclay’s Upgrades Whole Foods, Says Food Retailers Have ‘Too Much to Lose’ By Not Offering a Competing Bid

Karen Short at Barclay’s took WFM to an overweight today, assigning a $48 price target, thinking that Whole Foods is going to receive a competing offer from WMT, TGT or KR. She blames KR for not acting sooner on Whole Foods as the reason why Amazon jumped into the mix, acquiring the organic food giant. Additionally, she thinks that one of the big three grocers must find a way to steal Whole Foods away from Amazon, or at least make it much more expensive for them to acquire.

In the case of WMT, 50% of their revenues derive from food sales, leaving them exposed in a big way to the Amazon threat.

Source: CNBC

“We assigned a 40 percent probability to this scenario. Our downside scenario is $42, which is equal to Amazon’s current bid…We believe there is little regulatory risk that would prevent an Amazon/Whole Foods deal from being consummated. We assign a 60% probability to this scenario,” the Barclays analysts wrote.

The Barclays analysts noted that very few entities could outbid Amazon, but “many will do anything to either make this acquisition more costly for [Amazon] or prevent the asset from landing in [Amazon’s] lap–because remember –retail strategic bidders would eliminate overhead at [Whole Foods] in the event of an acquisition, Amazon intends to let Whole Foods operate as is,” they wrote. They said a strategic buyer could see synergies of up to $600 million.

Oppenheimer agrees with Barclay’s and the analyst was interviewed today on CNBC to discuss.

The vanguard of the Amazon threat lies in the already razor thin margins in the food space. Whole Foods enjoys the highest EBIT margins in the industry at 8-9%, compared to Kroger’s 5%. It’s very likely that once assimilated into the Amazon matrix, Bezos will slash prices, perhaps down to 2-3% margins, in order to render Kroger entirely helpless to his deflationary vortex — sending them towards an expeditious bankruptcy.

If you enjoy the content at iBankCoin, please follow us on Twitter

8 comments

  1. sarcrilege

    Nothing wrong with slashing prices for as long as the quality stays the same. The rest of the market/competitors will have to find other ways to make their operations more efficient to stay in business. Survival of the fittest.

    • 0
    • 0
    • 0 Deem this to be "Fake News"
  2. joyous__ending

    WMT is the only one that can out bid Amazon on this one.

    • 0
    • 0
    • 0 Deem this to be "Fake News"
    • sarcrilege

      The best strategy for Walmart would be to keep its powder dry, let Amazon overextend itself by going deep in debt and then pick the carcass of Amazon clean when it cannot keep up with debt servicing in light of FED increasing rates from here on.

      • 0
      • 0
      • 0 Deem this to be "Fake News"
  3. roundwego

    Ha ha s&p downgrade warning on amazon. Nice

    • 0
    • 0
    • 0 Deem this to be "Fake News"
  4. roundwego

    Um more poor less rich. Walmart will do fine. Nordstom and wholefoods is no longer affordable to laid off middle management and tech workers after the first .com crash.

    • 0
    • 0
    • 0 Deem this to be "Fake News"
  5. derp

    Anyone thinking about shorting Kroger?

    • 0
    • 0
    • 0 Deem this to be "Fake News"
  6. heaterman

    Kroger is already fielding their Whole Foods fighter. It’s called Lucky’s and if you have one in your market area you best check it out.

    • 0
    • 0
    • 0 Deem this to be "Fake News"
  7. bushwacker2

    “Amazon has deep pockets…” Yes, true…and Sarah Eisen has deep cleavage. I’m guessing at least D cups and maybe DD. I was paying attention to this story, yes….huh?…what?

    • 0
    • 0
    • 0 Deem this to be "Fake News"

Leave a Reply