Home / 2013 / May (page 5)

Monthly Archives: May 2013

Will this $AAPL cider turn into vinegar?

$AAPL down bar today reflects a confirmed correction to the downside simply because it has taken out the low of the bar from Tuesday, May 7th. The daily bars of Wednesday and Thursday failed to take out the Tuesday low; therefore, the trend was still up as far as I was concerned. However, today bar took out Tuesday low and price action was in the vicinity of the 89xma resistance line.

$AAPL price correction today could as well be a minor and healthy retracement. Nevertheless, I will watch for support on the 38.2% Fib retracement level at $434.75 which also happen to be near the support line from April 11th high.

Take a look at $AAPL daily chart below:

I bought June 7th 455 put option to short $AAPL. I’m betting that $AAPL correction will try to reach $435 support area before bouncing.

If there is going to be a mini-market correction, it may start next Monday and $AAPL will follow the market with it; otherwise, I will sell my put option pronto Monday morning to cut losses if the rally continues on.

My 2 cents.

Comments »

Today Portfolio Adjustment (05-09-2013)

Today was a shake-out day.

Market opened with a negative bias and my swing-trade alerting mode kicked in.

The problem with my swing-trade alert mode is that I like to “get the hell” out of a position when the overall general market condition is negative.  Since I hadn’t designated $BIDU as a position trade, it was a prime candidate for me to take the money and run.  I did exactly that in the morning and lo and behold, I found out later I was shaken out of my position.  A few rattle on the bottle of $BIDU and out popped Zenhunter’s position.  Oop!  Of course, $BIDU continued higher for the day without me.  Nevethless, this was different from $CVI which I got out when price was higher; $BIDU was down when I got out.  Therefore, $BIDU was business as normal for my trading mind while $CVI was a pure ego play which it chose to ignore my trading mind to put a stop in lieu of jumping the gun.

After getting out of $BIDU, it was naturally that I also wanted to get out of $YNDX.  Price action was on the defensive at the time so I sold $YNDX for tiny losses.

$CTSH was holding well so I decided to move my stop to breakeven just in case.  It was holding well for awhile but eventually price pressure brought the price down and I was stopped out.

$SZYM opened higher after earnings announcement.  I wanted to get back in so I waited a bit.  Price eventually came down a bit and I bought a starter position.  Later in the day, (I was away for awhile), price shot up and settled back down at $9.45 area.  I added more at that level.

IMHO, $AMRN’s earnings report was in line.  After hour price was holding steady; but the real reaction will be based on tomorrow price action.

All in all, I was shaken out of my three swing trade positions- $BIDU, $YNDX, and $CTSH with my cash raised to 48% which wasn’t a bad thing to end the day with DJIA taking a breather here.  I’ll be looking to buy back some names at cheaper prices if I can.

Current holdings:

AMRN, LRAD, TINY, SZYM and 48% cash.


The trades I made in the journal were time-stamped in twitter


Comments »

Cup and handle breakout for $SZYM

$SZYM reflects a beautiful cup and handle breakout pattern today with relative high volume.

Take a look at the daily chart.


It is important that price action stays above the $9.50 support line and not fall back underneath it going forward.  Giving the catalyst of increased capacity will be “on schedule” in the near future according the the earnings CC call, the possibility of price action heading higher is good.

I finally bought back some position this morning to take advantage of the early downdraft.  Although I’m not holding as much as I used to (I wish I did); but that is ok since I’ve to manage the risk I’m in on this one.  Risk management comes with the price of missing some money on the table IF price action reacts in your favor; on the other hands, reducing my position will also reduce the damage if price action reacts negatively.  So, I’ll have to look at $SZYM price action on a going forward basis.  In other words, I will add only if price action continue to go higher.  The number of shares I used to own is no longer relevant to my current risk profile and I will have to trade accordingly based on price action.

My 2 cents

Comments »

Today Portfolio Adjustment (05-08-2013)

Today was a sleepy day.

Market opened with a positive bias but that was the last thing I was concerned.

$DUST opened down and I waited a bit to see if there were any bounce.  After the first 5m bar was over, the 2nd bar did not do any better; so I sold to cut loss pronto.  And it was a good thing I did, $DUST continued to head south afterward.  Again, this is further proof that it pays to cut your loss quickly.  While I had to swallow the loss of $5 per share on my trade, it was much better than to sit on $15 dollars per share loss by the end of the day.

$NFLX had an orgasmic moment after a couple of 5m bar movements and I was not going to argue against such a strong burst.  I immediately took profit on my put option when there were still some to take.

$BAC was moving up so I added more.  Later, when $BAC began to show weakness after the burst, I moved my stop to breakeven and it was hit.  The reason why I moved my stop to breakeven so quickly was because I felt that $BAC movement somehow was limited in its range of movement given the money I had to tie up with it.  So, I was not disappointed when I was stopped out at breakeven to free up my cash.

$BIDU was moving up and I added more.  Although $BIDU did correct a bit in the morning after a burst, it did not correct the way $BAC did; therefore, I was more comfortable holding $BIDU since its potential range of movement was much larger, imo.

Seeing $BIDU was doing well, it reminded me of the Russian version $YNDX.  I took a look at the chart and realized I missed the $7 run from the last two weeks.  Seeing that they had good earnings result, I decided this was the catalyst we needed to see for future upward movement.  I bought a starter position and later added a bit more.

$SZYM was not fairing well, so I sold 1/3 of my position to reduce position.  Later, I sold the rest just to get some peace of mind from the earnings result that would come after the close.

While browsing thru some chart, I came across $CTSH that I used to trade many years ago.  This stock acted like it was ready to bounce back up from good earnings report.  I bought a starter position to see if it would work.

There wasn’t much action on my end for the day and I took a nap during market hours; hence a sleepy day.

Current holdings:

AMRN, LRAD, BIDU, TINY, YNDX, CTSH and  33% cash


The trades I made in the journal were time-stamped in twitter

Comments »

Coming back to the old guard

Remember $CTSH?

$CTSH had a monster run from a low $14 to $83 from late 2008 to early 2011 before it started having hiccup over the next two years.  I believe the current hiccup has come to a conclusion and price may just be heading back up soon.

Take a look at the weekly chart below:


Take a close look at the weekly chart again:


As you can see, this week may confirm the Bullish Harami weekly candlestick pattern for a bullish reversal.  Momentum indicators are also coming back up from the low point.

Take a look at the daily chart below:


Price took off after positive earnings report and the momentum may continue with the 5 ma line crossed over the 15 ma line today.

My 2 cents.

Comments »

Today Portfolio Adjustment (05-07-2013)

Today was a turnover day.

Market opened higher and then went thru a yoyo action in the morning before heading back up.

Meanwhile, a lot of my positions were being attacked.

After $BCRX earnings report, I woke up to the fact that this stock price was support entirely by the bird flu scare.  Without it, the fear of dilution will tank it pronto.  Thus, I sold my whole lot at breakeven and washed my hand off this one.

$GLUU was under attack on the get go and I immediately sold 70% of my position.  When price dropped below the support line at $2.75, I sold the rest without hesitation.  As far as I’m concerned, price action for $GLUU is broken.

$CREE was on the defensive all morning and I moved my stop to breakeven initially; but seeing that it was having a hard time staying put, I cancelled my stop and sold at the market to lock in some gain.  Good thing I did since price action would have taken out my stop eventually.

$CVI was up and I was sitting on a gain from 2 days of running.  I told myself to put a stop below intra-day low and let the stock worked it out on its own.  Unfortunately, I did not listen to myself but instead chose to jump the gun to take the money and run.  Oh well, price continued another strong up day; only this time without me on board.

I moved my stop on my $NFLX June 215 put option to breakeven so I didn’t have to worry about it.  So far, I haven’t been stopped out yet.

$SZYM was under attack again so I unloaded 80% of my position to reduce my risk.  I also didn’t want to give back too much gain from the recent run up.  However, later on when price stabilized, I bought back some below my sales price but still holding less than I came in this morning.

I’ve been looking at $DUST and after the gapped up today, I believe it was time to go back in.  I bought a starter position in the low $96.xx and wished that I had more patience to wait a bit longer.  Oh well, let’s see if I’m on the right track tomorrow.  Since this is a 3x ETF, I will let tomorrow price action to help me decide if I want to keep it or cut it.

I also like the $BAC price action and bought a starter position.  Unfortunately, right after I bought, price started a mini-waterfall price action so I sold 2/3 of my starter position to reduce risk and take small losses.

A friend alerted me of $BIDU so I took a look.  I like the fact that it is now at 50% retracement from its historical price range; thus, I bought a starter position to see if it will work.

Basically, today I’ve turned over my old swing-trade positions and replaced them with new ones.

Current holding:



The trades I made in the journal were time-stamped in twitter

Comments »

Time to say hello to $BIDU

After waiting for quite a few songs, I think it is time to visit $BIDU.

Take a look at the monthly $BIDU chart below:


Price action has started to consolidate around the 50% retracement from the low $10 to the high of  $165.96.  This is a strong support in my book.

Take a look at the weekly chart below:


This week bar is a good solid green bar so far. 5 sma line is turning up along with the two momentum indicators.  Yes, the 5 ma hasn’t crossed the 15 ma line yet; therefore, I’m jumping the gun here.

Take a look at the daily chart below:


I like the “pop up” price action today.  Both momentum indicators are also turning up.  This sync with the weekly momentum indicators as well which are good signs.

My 2 cents.

Comments »

Piggy bank breakout

I’m more and more convinced that the recovery of our banking system is the reason why real estate is recovering, gold is no longer needed for “safety”, and the stock market is making new high through out 2013.

Having said that, I bought $BAC to celebrate the recovery.  I chose $BAC over $WFC simply because $BAC has more room for recovery while $WFC may be making new high soon.  Always love an underdog, $BAC it is.

Below is the daily chart for $BAC.


Notice that today it took out the high of 03/19/2013.  Volume for today is pretty decent compared to volume for the last two weeks not counting yesterday.

Look at the weekly chart of $BAC below.


Notice that price action has climbed over both 79sma and 89xma lines and is looking like it is rounding up to the upside.

My 2 cents.

Comments »

Blowing $DUST on my face

I’m going for the gold in $DUST for another try.  My first try was a winner due to a gap up on 4/15/2013 after I bought near the end of day on 4/12/2013.

Now, with a very decent volume so far that already exceeds the daily volume of the last few days, I believe $DUST may be gunning for the previous high of $119.63 again.  Take a look at the daily chart below.


Price action already took out the high of the last nine days. I’m betting that this breakout has leg.  Notice both the momentum indicators are now pointing up.

Needless to day, I bought a starter position at the low $96.xx area.

Due to the nature of $DUST being a 3x ETF, this is a high risk trade.

My 2 cents.

Comments »

Today Portfolio Adjustment (05-06-2013)

Today was a quiet day.

Market opened neutral with an upward bias and $APRI looked good at the open.  It wanted to go higher so I bought some to nudge it along.  Nope, $APRI price action collapsed not long after I bought so I sold it to cut losses pronto.

Both $SZYM and $BCRX were under attack from the get go so I reduced my position size on both to reduce risk.

Meanwhile, $CREE was showing strength by taking out Friday high so I added more.

$VECO, unfortunately, was also under attack and price went below the mid-point of Friday bar so I sold to take the small losses.

$CVI showed strength and I added more to get the full size position.

Later, $BCRX was stabilizing and looked like it was bouncing, I bought back a bit to bring my position to 50% of original size.  Earlier, I sold down to 1/3 position size.

I’ve been looking at $NFLX for short and today might be the day to start.  I bought the June 215 put option to start.

Both $AMRN and $TINY had healthy upside movement today.  Let’s see if the uptrend can continue from here.

Current holdings:



The trades I made in the journal were time-stamped in twitter

Comments »