Home / 2013 (page 12)

Yearly Archives: 2013

Today Portfolio Adjustment (05-22-2013)

Today was a bloody day.

Market opened like a jack rabbit and took off without looking back; then it went into a yoyo phase before turning into a waterfall.  And it had to happen at the day when I was busy with non-trading stuff!

Everything that could go wrong went wrong today.

$NUGT gapped up and I went for it.  It looked good at the beginning but then the rally fizzled.  I put a hard stop below yesterday low to give this more room to breath.  Let’s see if the rally will continue or not.

Other than that, I came back to my desk with everything falling apart.  Lo and behold, I had no choice but to put hard stops to protect myself.  $CERS, $DNN, $GLUU were all stopped out for losses.   These losses were a bit larger than my normal small losses due to the larger position size.

I also bought $UNXL early in the day to go with the Dev’s thesis.  Due to its small float, I’m giving this one a bit more room to work with.

Now, what really threw me by end of the day was the announcement of dilution of $APRI.  So much for the takeover rumor.  I’ll have to eat that losses tomorrow.

Current holdings:

AMRN, LRAD, TINY, APRI, UNXL, NUGT and 40% cash.


The trades I made in $NUGT were time-stamped in twitter



Comments »

Zen chews $NUGT for breakfast

After the morning gap on $NUGT, the wind has spoken.  After a bullish engulfment, we got an inside bar or harami.  Today, a gap up that took out the high of the inside bar is a confirmed bullish stance.  Not only that, $NUGT also took out the previous high of two days ago.  Based on these past few days of price action, I think the probability of gold finding a bottom is getting stronger and stronger.

Of course, I bought back my $NUGT despite the gap up.  Sometimes, I’ve to go with the flow.

Below is the 15 min. chart of $NUGT.  Isn’t it a beauty?


My 2 cents.

Comments »

Today Portfolio Adjustment (05-21-2013)

Today was a quiet day.

Market opened up, did a hiccup, then went higher.

As for me, my luck did not continue when $NUGT gapped down at the open.  I practically gave back my gain I made yesterday.  Today was the day when the bullish engulfment bar from yesterday did not follow through; but guess what, I’ll do it again next time simply because statistically speaking, it has a good chance to continue.  So, today non-follow-thru is just another statistical event that I’ve to accept.  Later,  I bought back for bounce play but got stopped out at breakeven; afterward, I left it alone.  Best to let this one settle for now.

Meanwhile, after seeing that $CERS did not do a gapped down or waterfall prices that I fear yesterday, I bought back my shares in the morning.

Since $APRI price action took out the high of Feb once again, I added more.  With the prospect of a takeover, there may still be room for speculation to drive price action up; however, this is still a high risk play.

I also added to $DNN to take advantage of the mini-correction today.  No, it wasn’t a average down ’cause I am still in the money.

By and large, I’ve pretty much concentrated my money into seven stocks with only 29% cash.

Out of the seven, $CERS, $APRI, $DNN, and $GLUU are swing trades.

I’m going to wish myself good luck from here.

Current holdings:


My 2 cents.


The trades I made in the journal were time-stamped in twitter

Comments »

Zen finds clue on $APRI

Seems like a buyout potential is in the card giving the clue I find here:

Apricus Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ:APRI) Investor Alert: Investigation on Potential Takeover

An investigation on behalf of investors of Apricus Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ:APRI) in connection with a potential takeover was announced and NASDAQ:APRI stockholders should contact the Shareholders Foundation.

Repost This

San Diego, CA — (SBWIRE) — 05/21/2013 — An investigation on behalf of investors, who currently hold NASDAQ:APRI shares, was announced concerning whether a takeover of Apricus Biosciences Inc would be unfair.

Investors who purchased shares of the Apricus Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ:APRI) and currently hold any of those NASDAQ:APRI shares have certain options and should contact the Shareholders Foundation at mail(at)shareholdersfoundation.com or call +1(858) 779 – 1554.

The investigation by a law firm is at an early stage and concerns whether a potential takeover would be unfair to NASDAQ:APRI investors.

On May 14, 2013, Apricus Biosciences Inc disclosed that on May 14, 2013, the Board of Directors of Apricus Biosciences, Inc. voted to terminate Apricus Biosciences’ Shareholder Rights Agreement dated as of March 22, 2011, by and between Apricus Biosciences and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., as rights agent.

Shares of Apricus Biosciences grew from $2.50 on May 14, 2013, to $3.409 on May 20, 2013.

However, given that NASDAQ:APRI shares traded in early 2012 as high as $5.49 and that at least one analyst has set the high target price for Apricus Biosciences shares at $8.00 per share, the investigation by a law firm concerns whether the Apricus Biosciences Board of Directors will undertake an adequate sales process, adequately shop the company before entering into any transaction, maximize shareholder value by negotiating the best price, and act in the shareholders’ best interests in connection with the proposed sale.

Shares of Apricus Biosciences Inc closed on May 20, 2013, at $3.35 per share.

Those who are current investors in Apricus Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ:APRI) have certain options and should contact the Shareholders Foundation.

Shareholders Foundation, Inc.
Joelle Day
3111 Camino Del Rio North – Suite 423
92108 San Diego
Phone: +1-(858)-779-1554
Fax: +1-(858)-605-5739
[email protected]

Disclaimer: I’m not familiar with Shareholders Foundation, Inc., so you have to take this piece of information at face value.

Nevertheless, I added more because price took out the high of Feb 11th again.

Click here for link to the article above.

Click here for link to Shareholders Foundation Inc.’s page on Apricus Biosciences, Inc.

My 2 cents.

Comments »

Today Portfolio Adjustment (05-20-2013)

Today was a golden day.

Market continues to yoyo all day.

At the open, I watched $DUST because I was intrigued by George Soros’ large call option position on GDXJ as alerted by rogue wave in his reply to The Fly’s post.  The only way I would see a potential bottom on $NUGT was that the double-top on $DUST proved to be a strong resistance.  After seeing the $DUST could not hang on to the high even with an pre-market high of $120+; I saw a potential bottom play on $NUGT with small risk giving that the intra-day low was so close to my entry point.

I waited and price began to climb; I then added more later.  After a few hours of not watching $NUGT, I was surprised to see how high price action had gone up.  I immediately put a protective sell-stop to lock in decent profit if price retraced to below recent pivot low.  I was stopped out later.  However, by day end, momentum for $NUGT was very strong.  Seeing such powerful surge, I bought back a starter position (as higher price than I stopped out for) and then continued to add when price continued to climb higher.  By day close, I’m still in the money with my GTC stop still in place below the recent pivot low using 3m chart.

$APRI was higher after open so I added a bit more.  There wasn’t much movement afterward so I left it alone.

Unfortunately, $CERS was showing a bearish engulfment candlestick in late afternoon so I decided to close out my position to lock in profit.  I tried to give this one more time but I couldn’t hold a bearish engulfment candle overnight when I had profit to take.

$TINY had a nice up bar today probably due to continued price increase on $SZYM.

Meanwhile, my portfolio continues to take heat from $AMRN and $LRAD.

Edit: forgot to mention that by day end, $CERS recovered some so I bought back a small starter position.

That was pretty much the action for my day.

Current holdings:



The trades I made in the journal were time-stamped in twitter

Comments »

Zen chases $NUGT for treasure

I’m back in $NUGT after taking profit during the day.  With price action taking out the high of two trading days ago, I’ve to go with the momentum and see if there is a follow-thru tomorrow.  We may be seeing a potential bottom for gold right now if the upside thrust continues on.


This is still a high risk trade.  My stop is a GTC order below intra-day low.

My 2 cents.

Comments »

Zen ate $NUGT for breakfast

Did anyone see the double-top formation on $DUST?

Seeing that $DUST price action was having a difficult time maintaining above the previous high of $119.63 from Apr 17th, I saw a low risk trade in $NUGT for a bounce.

Take a look at the daily $DUST chart below:


Chart is not looking healthy for the bull here.  A severe double-top formation has formed with price action today taking out the low of the last two days.

Take a look at the daily $NUGT chart below:


Although I was stopped out for a nice gain on $NUGT from the morning entry (with a low risk stop below intra-day low), I’m looking for a re-entry point with a low risk stop.  Today candlestick bar is forming a bullish engulfment bar which can become a bottom bullish reversal pattern if price action confirms with an upside movement tomorrow.

My 2 cents.


The trades I made in $NUGT were time-stamped in twitter

Comments »

Where Ego Dares #6: Surfing the wave

So far, I’ve discussed the use of focus to bring intensity to our thought-process so that we can outdo our natural mind in order to follow the proper trading process.

What is the proper trading process again?

While I’ve mentioned cutting loss being a major factor in the proper trading process; it is not the mean to an end.  In fact, cutting loss is only a part of the overall scheme in surfing the market wave.

Guess what, even for surfing, you have to deal with “wipe-out” which, to me, is no different than “cutting losses” in trading. Below is an excerpt from a lesson in wipe-out.

Get ready to wipe out. Wipe outs are an unpleasant but unavoidable part of the surfing experience. With time, you’ll get better at avoiding wipe outs, but for now, follow these basic steps to stay as safe as possible when one happens:

  • Stay calm. A wipe out can be dangerous, but if you keep your head there is usually nothing to fear. Think clearly and act decisively to minimize your risk.

Except for the dangerous part, the steps involve here are perfect for cutting losses.

Here is a rephrase:

Get ready to cut loss. Cutting losses are an unpleasant but unavoidable part of the trading experience. With time, you’ll get better at minimizing losses (by knowing when to enter a trade), but for now, follow these basic steps to stay as safe as possible when one happens:

  • Stay calm. A wipe out can be dangerous, but if you keep your head there is usually nothing to fear. Think clearly and act decisively to minimize your risk of taking a bigger losses.

“Act decisively” is a very important key point here.

Even a highly skilled surfer get wipe-out from time-to-time; on the same token, taking losses are what successful traders do to protect profit and their portfolio.

I must say that I’m not an expert surfer yet in the realm of trading.  As you can see from my daily journals, I’ve fallen off the wave plenty of times; but that does not preclude me from catching some nice waves from time to time.  I’m sure the dedicated surfers out there at the beach will agree with me when I say that I will accept any and all wipe-outs anytime any day just so I can have an opportunity to ride that big wave to the end when it comes.  Of course, in my case, I’ll take any small losses anytime any day just so I can have an opportunity to ride that big runner to the end when it comes.

Surfing the wave is an art and so is trading.  The great surfer, even though his/her technical skills are strong, has to know the when and where to surf to maximize his/her enjoyment of surfing the big waves.  They will travel to the proper beach at proper time to follow the big waves.

This is the same in trading.  We have to know where and when to trade to maximize our chance of finding the next big trends/runner.  Which beach to surf is as important as which sector to speculate.  A perfect example is the recent shift of money flow back to the solar sector which The Fly has keenly alerted us.

Are you catching my drift here?

If you are a dedicated surfer, your whole life is about looking for the next big wave to surf.  Your whole life is about improving your surfing skills.  You go to the beach whenever you can.  Your mind is always thinking of surfing.  And when you surf, nothing else matter.

Do you see the simple truth here?

When you make surfing your life interest, your thought process naturally is very focused on surfing; nothing else matter anymore.  Even your natural mind will be standing by the corner when you surf the big waves. For the surfer knows that the only way to ride the big wave is to be one with it.  Anything less and you will be wiped-out.

In trading, we call it trading “in the zone”.

There you have it.

To bypass our natural mind to trade in the zone, what’s the better way than to take trading to the next level by making it a part of your life-goal?

It all comes down to your dedication.

My 2 cents.


Comments »

Today Portfolio Adjustment (05-17-2013)

Today was a fine day I must say…

Market opened higher, rest a little, then took off to the sunset…

$DUST gapped up and the trade was instantly profitable.  The only thing left to do was to protect profit while letting the price run.  Sometimes you could hit the sweet spot with your trailing stop and ride the trend all the way to the top; and other times, you could be stopped out for a nice profit and left some money on the table.  Today was the latter for my $DUST trade.  I didn’t buy back for the second wind on the price run which came close to the previous high of $119.63 from April because my mind was no longer focus on the stock after I was stopped out.  Remember, once I’m out of a stock with a gain or loss, any re-entry will have to be considered as a brand new trade with its own risk profile.  $DUST, being a 3x ETF, is a high risk trade and I learn not to dip my hand back in after a win.  If I left money on the table, so be it.

$MNKD opened higher but quickly dropped back to negative territory, I placed a close stop after open to protect profit and was stopped out during the retracement.  Today was one of those day where I was stopped out at the bottom and price took off without me.  I know this type of event will happen from time to time and the only thing I can do is to buy back in at higher price so as not to miss the rally.  I waited for a retracement and bought back some shares later.  Unfortunately, by day end, price action took a tumble later in the day. Since the candlestick chart near the end of the day looked like a shooting star reversal pattern in development.  I decided to jump the gun by putting a close stop to protect myself.  I was stopped out for small losses from this re-entry.

$BBRY started down and my put option looked good.  But price action took a new turn and headed up, I sold the option for tiny losses and bought a starter position to go long with a tight stop.  I was stopped out later for small losses.  After two failed attempts, I decided to leave $BBRY along and moved on.

$APRI looked strong which surprised me; so I decided to go along with the speculation and bought some to chase.  By the end of the day, I am still in the money.  Let’s see what next week will bring.

$CERS finally took out the left-hand cup & handle pattern and I bought more.  Price stabilized around $5.50 all day so I decided to sit on my hand again to avoid my temptation to take profit.  After seeing the news that another fund has bought 600K shares of $CERS, I’m beginning to contemplate about moving $CERS into the position trade category.  I see price target of $8 being achievable from here.

I’m taking small heat from $DNN and $GLUU; but I’m willing to wait until next week to decide what I want to do with these the swing trades.

$TINY is beginning to get some attention today from the news that Google and NASA have bought the new quantum computer from D-Wave which $TINY has a stake in.  D-Wave is not the only reason why I like $TINY, I also like the fact that it has a stake in BridgeLux which manufactures LED light with a low cost design.  On top of that, $TINY also owns quite a few shares of $SZYM.  I’ve decided not to chase $SZYM on my own and just be satisfied that I own $SZYM indirectly thru $TINY.

$AMRN has a small hiccup today due to lack of news on NCE (new chemical entity) status from FDA.  Oh well, I need to be more patience.

Current holdings:



The trades I made in the journal were time-stamped in twitter

Comments »